Landscapes of the Mind: The Art of Well-Being
An upcoming one-day conference at The Lightbox in Woking explores some of the relationships between, on the one hand, the appreciation and creation of artworks (and art projects in general) and, on the other hand, mental health and well being. This full day event, on Friday 28 June, costs £15 to attend, which includes lunch and refreshments.
The Conference will reflect back particularly upon the Landscapes of the Mind project and exhibition which was held at The Lightbox, in which mental health service users engaged with the landscapes in The Ingram Collection of Modern and Contemporary British Art. They then produced their own artworks in response to the works and curated the exhibition Landscapes of the Mind. This built upon The Lightbox’s experience of previous projects, but gave even more control of the process to the participants. This took place as part of the Happy Museum initiative. The Conference will feature speakers from the world of arts and mental health, from the Happy Museum and also from the participants in the Landscapes of the Mind project.
Speakers will include
- Hilary Jennings,a freelance consultant working across the arts, cultural, educational and skills sectors; a Happiness Associate for the Happy Museums Project
- Prof. Paul Camic, Professor of Psychology and Public Health at Canterbury Christ Church University; founder and co-executive editor of Arts & Health: An International Journal of Research, Policy and Practice
- Leisa Gray, formerly leader of the health and wellbeing programme at Manchester Art Gallery, currently Deputy Director at Open Art, Huddersfield
- Dr Linda Thomson, Research Associate, Museums & Public Engagement, University College London, currently working on a heritage-specific well-being measure
- Rib Davis, Special Project Manager, The Lightbox, and participants of Landscapes of the Mind
How to book
There is a charge of £15 to cover lunch and refreshments. To book your place please call The Lightbox on 01483 737800, and state whether you have any particular dietary requirements or other needs. If you have any enquiries relating to the Conference please email Rib Davis .
Conference: Landscapes of the Mind, the art of well being
Date: Friday 28 June 2013
Time: 10.00am - 4.30pm
Venue: The Lightbox, Chobham Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 4AA