Report

Back

Everts' account of his visit to Erlangen Asylum (1847)

Location: Erlangen, Kingdom of Bavaria

Everts wrote about his visit to Erlangen Asylum on pages 30-31 of a report he sent to the provincial authorities of Noord-Holland on 22 February 1848, which is now held at Haarlem's Rijksarchief in Noord-Holland, Toegang 16, Inv. No. 2380.

Everts reported that the institution in Erlangen was completed in 1846, the year prior to his visit. The buildings were formed into a cruciform or star shape - a design feature unique amongst German asylums - and a round dome topped the central buildings. Extending out from the dome were four long, rectangular buildings, and short perpendicular annexes were located at the far side of each building.

The entire complex had two stories, each of the four radial buildings consisting of a row of larger and smaller well-furnished wards and adjoining rooms, with broad, well-lit hallways. The central building contained large, round, attractive, communal rooms. Two of the radial buildings housed the asylum’s acute patients who were segregated by sex, and the other two buildings housed the chronic patients, again segregated by sex. Two of the adjoining annexes housed the institution’s director and chief medical officer respectively, and the remaining two were in use as additional ward space.

Everts confessed that he did not quite understand the reasoning behind the building’s unusual layout, and therefore did not consider it worthy of imitation. Nevertheless, he deemed it simple and regular in construction, and even attractive in parts. As far as Everts was concerned, the location of the buildings (on flat and restricted terrain three or four minutes away from Erlangen’s town gates) did not have much to recommend it. The site contained a couple of pleasant and spacious gardens, but offered nothing in terms of appealing views, agricultural land, or walking opportunities - elements considered by Everts to be critical in the location of a mental institution.

Extract

Het gesticht te Erlangen, eerst in 1846 voltooid, wijkt in bouworde van alle overige in Duitschland bestaande gestichten af. Het zelve heeft namelijk de gedaante van een kruis of ster. Van het cirkelvormig koepelgebouw als middenpunt, loopen naar vier zijden regthoekig op elkander staande, lijnvormige gebouwen, als vier stralen uit, terwijl tegen het vrije uiteinde van elk dezen vier gebouwen meden eene kleine dwarsche vleugel, regthoekig aansluit.

Het geheel heeft twee verdiepingen en alle gebouwen bestaan uit eene rij grootere en kleinere en goed ingerigte vertrekken en aansluitende ruime, breede, goedverlichte gang. Het centraal gebouw bevat groote, ronde, fraaije vereenigingszalen. Van de vier hoofdgebouwen vormen twee de afdeelingen voor mannen en vrouwen van het genezingsgesticht en de twee overigen die voor het verplegingsgesticht. Terwijl eindelijk van de vier kortere dwarsche vleugels, twee bestemd zijn voor de woningen van den geneesheer en Directeur enz: de twee anderen voor de afdeelingen der cellen.

Afgezien van de vreemdsoortige vorm, waarvan ik het groote voordeel niet inzie, en welke mij niet navolgenswaardig voorkomt, is het gebouw eenvoudig, regelmatig, en ten aanzien van deszelfs bijzondere deelen zelfs fraaij te noemen.

De ligging is niet zeer gunstig. Het gesticht is namelijk opgerigt op een effen, vlak en beperkt terrein, in de onmiddelijke nabijheid en hoogstens 3 á 4 minuten buiten de poort der Stad Erlangen, en behalven eenige fraaije en ruime tuinen, geloof ik niet dat er akker of bouwland van veel aanbelang, bij het gesticht behoort.

De situatie van het gebouw, is derhalve onvrij en beroofd van die aangename wandelingen en natuurschoonheden die men algemeen als een der hoofdvereischten van een doelmatig gelegen krankzinnigengesticht erkent.

Asylum visited