Albergo dei Poveri
Albergo dei Poveri (1594 -)
Location: Piazzale E. Brignole 2, Genoa, Kingdom of Sardinia
This poorhouse was founded in 1594 under the patronage of Emanuele Brignole. The building, which is still standing, is rectangular with four courtyards and a church in the shape of a Greek cross. One part of it is now used as a hospital for chronic patients, the rest having been taken over by the Faculty of Political Science of the University of Genoa.