La Charité Hospital
La Charité Hospital (c. 1798 -)
Location: Berlin, Kingdom of Prussia
A separate department of La Charité hospital in Berlin was established for psychiatric patients at the end of the eighteenth century. The institution was available only for residents of Berlin and housed both curable and incurable patients.
Occupying three sides of a rectangle, the building was two stories high, with a basement and attic. Internally, it featured high ceilings, large rooms and wide corridors. All patients slept in dormitories. Designed to accommodate up to 160 patients, La Charité held 128 patients in late 1851.
Now known as Charité - Universitätsmedezin Berlin (Charité - University of Medicine Berlin), the hospital continues to operate a psychiatric clinic today.