Ospedale San Giacomo in Augusta
Ospedale San Giacomo in Augusta (1339 -)
Location: Via Antonio Canova 29, Rome, Papal States
The Ospedale San Giacomo had its origins as early as 1339 in the aid offered to pilgrims by the church of the same name, located in the vicinity of the mausoleum of the Emperor Augustus. Throughout the hospital’s history, a close collaboration with the church has been maintained. The hospital building was reconstructed in 1583 to the designs of Francesco da Volterra. Both the hospital and the church contain examples of the work of the sculptor Antonio Canova, who had a workshop in the same street, and after whom the street was subsequently named.