Pia Casa di Santa Caterina alla Ruota
Pia Casa di Santa Caterina alla Ruota (1780 - 1912)
Location: nr. Via Francesco Sforza, Milan, Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia
Pia Casa di Santa Caterina alla Ruota was founded in 1780 by Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria, as an expansion of Milan’s Ospedale Maggiore to meet the particular needs of orphans and abandoned children and also more generally as a maternity and children’s hospital. In 1912 it was replaced with the Brefotrofio Institute in the Viale Piceno, still used today as an institution for youngsters and adolescents, as well as a central repository for psychiatric records.