Ospedale di San Giovanni in Laterano
Ospedale di San Giovanni in Laterano (1216 -)
Location: Laterano, Rome, Papal States
In 1216 a church was founded at Laterano to provide aid to the poor and ill pilgrims. The church, and the hospital which grew out of it was first dedicated to Sant’Antonio, later Sant’Angelo, then Santissimo Salvatore and finally San Giovanni. By 1836, when the Camilliani order of monks made the Ospedale di San Giovanni in Laterano their headquarters, it was providing care for female patients with acute diseases.