Prague Asylum (1790 -)
Location: Prague, Austria
From 1790, a department of the general hospital in Prague, in a separate building, was devoted to housing the insane of Prague and surrounding area. In the 1820s, buildings of the former convent of St. Catherine were prepared for insane patients. A new building for curable patients was opened in 1846, designed by the superintendent, Dr Riedel. At this time the asylum ceased to be governed by the general hospital.
Curable and incurable patients were accommodated separately. In the late 1840s the asylum had accommodation for 150 curables and 250 incurables. By November 1851 the institution was treating 594 patients.